What we’ve all been waiting for. My list of the best albums of the year. This year brought us releases by some of my favs, Spoon, TV on the Radio, and of course the man of all men…Moz. I listened to every one of my top 10 at least dozens of time throughout the year but there can only be one #1 record. Enjoy friends. What a great year. Thanks to Thom and Lindsey for their contribution. Scroll down to read theirs…
1) The War On Drugs- Lost In The Dream
I can’t begin to tell you how amazing this album is from start to finish. One of the most complete albums in years. Heartfelt and complex, whatever the great Philly does next is something that we should look out for. I dare you to put this record on (and on record preferably) and not be lost in Adam’s vocals. Easily the best album of the year.
2) Sharon Van Etten- Are We There
I love everything she does. If I had one complaint, 11 songs aren’t enough.
3) Run The Jewels- Run The Jewels 2
The 2nd full length from the best duo in rap (definitely) but perhaps in all of music. How they feed off of each other is incredible.
4) Real Estate- Atlas
The latest from the Jersey boys. My favorite of theirs. And each one they make makes this list.
5) FKA Twigs- LP1
This album hits you at your very core and doesn’t let up. Every song is incredible.
6) Brian Blade & the Fellowship Band- Landmarks
I didn’t know much about the Louisiana jazz musician. I’ll know everything about him from now on. This is beautiful music.
7) Panda Bear- Mr. Noah (ep)
Normally I make a separate list for ep’s. Not this year. Probably my favorite musician working today. His latest drops in January and I’ve heard it, guaranteed to make next year’s list.
8) Wye Oak- Shriek
Love the completeness from a 2 member band. A big fan since their debut. This may be their best.
9) Angel Olsen- Burn Your Fire For No Witness
Another album that I haven’t stopped listening to since I heard it. One of the best sophomore efforts I’ve heard in years.
10) Warpaint- s/t
What’s not to love by the all female band from LA?
11) Spoon- They Want My Soul
When you are a band for as long as Spoon has been and an album this complete happens you have to be considered one of the better Indie rock bands of all time. I think a lot of people would agree.
12) Morrissey- World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Moz. One of his best in years.
13) Jessie Ware- Tough Love
As beautiful as her debut. Exquisite vocals.
14) Ex Hex- Rips
The great Mary Timony returns in a huge way. Note to new musicians…this is how you make good music.
15) Shellac- Dude Incredible
‘At Action Park’ is one of the greatest Indie albums of all time. This record kicks ass so hard.
16) Peter Matthew Bauer- Liberation!
Anything anyone has to do with ‘The Walkmen’ is ok in my book. A great debut.
17) St. Vincent- St. Vincent
Think this sums her up…
‘Beauty is truth, truth beauty,’ – that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
– John Keats
18) Protomartyr- Under Color of Official Right
Volatile, ferocious, oppresive post-punk from Detroit’s ‘Protomartyr’.
19) Wild Beasts- Present Tense
Love this band.
20) Juliana Barwick- Rosabi (ep)
Juliana Barwick just makes beautiful music. That simple. Pair this with the equally impressive ‘Dogfish Rosabi Ale’ an exquisite imperial pale ale made with wasabi. Yes, it’s even better than it sounds.
And the rest…
21) Flying Lotus- You’re Dead!
22) Fear of Men- Loom
23) TV On The Radio- Seeds
24) The New Pornographers- Brill Bruisers
25) Schoolboy Q- Oxymoron
26) EMA- The Future’s Void
27) First Aid Kit- Stay Gold
28) Mas Ysa- Worth (ep)
29) White Lung- Deep Fantasy
30) Zola Jesus- Taiga
31) Aphex Twin- Syro
32) Alt-J- This is All Yours
33) Lykke Li- I Never Learn
34) Cloud Nothings- Here and Nowhere Else
35) Jenny Lewis- The Voyager
36) Lia Ices- Ices
37) Perfect Pussy- Say Yes to Love
38) The Notwist- Close to the Glass
39) Painted Palms- Forever
40) Hamilton Leithauser- Black Hours
41) Ben Frost- AURORA
42) Courtney Barnett- The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas
43) Sylvan Esso- s/t
44) Parquet Courts- Sunbathing Animal
45) Alcest- Shelter
46) Amen Dunes- Love
47) Clark- Clark
48) Foxygen- …And Star Power
49) Andy Stott- Fait in Strangers
50) Tune-Yards- Nikki Nack
Thom’s Best of…
1) Ryan Adams “1984” e.p
2) Crow Bait “Sliding Through The Halls Of Fate”
3) Ryan Adams “S/T”
4) Chumped “Teenage Retirement”
5) Perfect Pussy “Say Yes To Love”
6) Run The Jewels “Run The Jewels 2”
7) Jack White “Lazaretto’
8) Damien Rice ” My Favourite Faded Fantasy”
9) Taylor Swift “1989”
10) Dolly Parton “Blue Smoke “
Lindsey’s Best of…
1) Ned Doheney – Separate Oceans
Every single song on this album shreds. Can’t help but sway. Favorite tune, probably of the year, is his “Get It Up For Love”
2) The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream
Yeah, yeah, I know, but it really is one of my favorite albums of ALL TIME! Even before we started dating! My parents even love their tunes. Such great driving/exploring music.
3) Natalie Prass – Bird of Prey
OMGGGGGG, her cover of Janet’s Anytime, Any Place….I can’t even handle it. MW is featuring her in March btw.
4) Angel Olsen – Burn Your Fire for No Witness
Such an amazing voice. Not my favorite album of hers but still SO great. I love her sh!tty sense of humor and sarcasm, for example “Hi-Five” about two friends in that got royally screwed in relationships. Why not celebrate that?!
5) King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – Oddments
Major Jimi H vibes here. Totally psychedelic stoner rock. Makes you ZONE out without even trying. Fav tracks on this album are “Work This Time” and “Stressin”. Very young and large Australian group. By large, I mean LARGE….10 band members minimum at each show. Nuts.
6) Peter Matthew Bauer – Liberation!
Something about this dude’s voice, DIG IT! Fav tunes “Shiva the Destroyer” and “Liberation!”
7) Eccentric Soul – The Way Out Label
All Numero Group comps shred. Here’s their latest.
8) Foxygen – …And Star Power
Really didn’t like the album as a whole but “How Can You Really” is a great song….these kids are way ahead of the game. If they can keep their sh!t together, I think they’ll be big time