Here we are…the end of the year. The holidays are upon us, birthdays (ahem ahem) and year end best of lists. Below are your songs of the year. Each year it gets harder and harder to determine the ultimate playlist to encapsulate the great year in music. And of course to provide all of you with THE playlist of 2014. Here they are…the best songs of 2014. Click on the link to listen and download the playlist via Spotify (except #20, sadly.) Enjoy my friends!
1) Two Weeks- FKA Twigs
Just listen to the lyrics in this song. I’m blown away by how someone can sing like she can and write as well. NSFW for sure.
2) Happy Idiot- TV on the Radio
TVOTR is back in a big way. While this album isn’t the near perfection as Return to Cookie Mountain, this first single really kicks ass.
3) Man of the Year- ScHoolboy Q (NSFW)
Love the attitude, the angst and the comedic bravado of this cat.
4) Spinning Signs- Painted Palms
Just a great rock song. Especially loud.
5) Noah- Panda Bear
Is there a better musician working in music today than Noah Lennox? It’s a rhetorical question.
6) Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)- Run The Jewels 2 (ft. Zack de la Rocha) (NSFW)
If I said that the best featuring vocals for the year was on a rap song by the lead singer of Rage Against the Machine would you have believed it? So good.
7) Go (Blank Sea)- Zola Jesus
I am just in love with her voice.
8) Inside Out- Spoon
From one of the most consistent bands of the past 20 years. When you take a look at the oeuvre of this band you realize how astounding they are.
9) Red Eyes- The War on Drugs
I could have picked any song off the 3rd full length album by the incredible Philly band. An incredible soothing and almost dreamlike vocals. Adam Granduciel sounds like a young Dylan.
10) Higher- Lia Ices
Is this the best pop song of the year?
11) Every Other Freckle- Alt- J
I can’t get over the voice of Alt-J lead singer.
12) Talking Backwards- Real Estate
Jersey boys done good! The best single off of their best album.
13) Goshen ’97- Strand of Oaks
From start to finish an outstanding amalgam of midwestern rock and folk.
14) Simple and Sure- The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
This band always seems to make beautiful pop/rock songs every album.
15) Wanderlust- Wild Beasts
The first song of of the latest effort from the awesome Wild Beasts.
16) War on the East Coast- The New Pornographers
One of the Dan Bejar sung songs from a totally underrated New Pornographers album. Their first in 4 years.
17) Just One of the Guys- Jenny Lewis
I was a huge Rilo Kiley fan. This brought me back a couple years. Love her.
18) La.Tex- Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band
Put on your headphones and zone out to this 11-min opus from an unbelievable jazz album by the Lousiana native. The album I want more people to listen to.
19) Taking Chances- Sharon Van Etten
Her beautiful voice has this resonating harmony to it.
20) Shake It Off- Taylor Swift
Ok, let’s hear it. I say it all the time. I love a good pop song. Sadly this didn’t make the playlist via Spotify. I’m sure you know why by now.
21) Seasons (Waiting On You)- Future Islands
22) Hey Miami- Sylvan Esso
23) Drunk in Love (ft. Jay-Z)- Beyonce
24) Kong- The Notwist
25) Forgiven/Forgotten- Angel Olsen
26) My Silver Lining- First Aid Kit
27) I Wanna Get Better- Bleachers
28) Why- Mas Ysa
29) Alexandra- Hamilton Leithauser
30) Satellites- EMA
31) Precious Love- How to Dress Well
32) Johnny and Mary- Todd Terje (ft. Bryan Ferry)
33) Tough Love- Jessie Ware
34) Shriek- Wye Oak
35) Keep it Healty- Warpaint
36) Boom Clap- Charli XCX
37) Little Fang- Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks
38) Maidenhead- Protomartyr
39) Wait For a Minute- Tune-Yards
40) Don’t Wanna Lose- Ex Hex
41) Birth in Reverse- St. Vincent
42) Lampshades on Fire- Modest Mouse
43) Bright Eyes- Allo Darlin’
44) The Party Line- Belle and Sebastian
45) Black and White- Parquet Courts
46) Never Catch Me (feat. Kendrick Lamar)- Flying Lotus
47) Dude Incredible- Shellac
48) Queen- Perfume Genius
49) Slow Motion- Phox
50) Where No Eagles Fly- Julian Casablancas and The Voidz
51) The Grit in the Pearl- Clark