What an outstanding year 2013 has been for music dear readers. Kanye West continues to shock and ignite us. Lorde and Sky Ferreira show us that woman in rock and roll can do just that. Haim is one of the better all around new artists that we’ve seen in years and experimental music is taking over the world. Here it is, what you’ve all been waiting for all year…the best albums of 2013! Enjoy!!!
1) The National- Trouble Will Find Me
The Brooklyn via Cincinnati band releases its finest record to date. Perfectly balanced, beautifully created and easily the most listened to record of the past year. With every growing year the band improves on every creative level. This is the best album of 2013!
2) Kanye West- Yeezus
While it may be tough to ever best ‘My Dark Beautiful Twisted Nightmare’ it doesn’t mean that the latest Kanye record isn’t one for the ages. Unabashed then the previous record and at times even more nuanced, this record wallops a punch from start to finish. Not only one of the greatest rap/hip-hop artists of our time but one of the best musicians working in music. Bar none.
3) Empire Of The Sun- Ice On The Dune
Maybe besides ‘Trouble Will Find Me’, my 2nd most listened to record. Poppy without the sweetness, dancey without the heavily techno. A great record from start to finish.
4) Frightened Rabbit- Pedestrian Verse
The Australian natives record their finest record to date.
5) Haim- Days Are Gone
Much has been written about and discussed from the Haim sisters. The heir to Chrissy Hynde and ‘The Pretenders’. This is 2013 indie pop music at its finest. And one of the genres best albums in years.
6) Disclosure- Settle
I was instantly blown away when I heard the British brothers known as Disclosure. Still only in their 20’s the dance/tecno/house record will do the same to you as well.
7) Sky Ferreira- Night Time, My Time
Sky Ferreira has been in the music biz for some years now and finally releases her debut album. This is the indie ingenue we’ve been waiting to take the world by storm.
8) Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
The only thing I can say about Vampire Weekend that hasn’t been said is that with their 3rd album, they are quickly becoming one of the world’s great bands. With this record they have proven that there isn’t a style of music from the world that they aren’t knowledgable about. A truly smart and innovative band, and that’s something that doesn’t come about in music these days.
9) Kurt Vile- Wakin’ on a Pretty Daze
One of the finest musicians working in music. The ex-‘The World on Drugs’ frontman releases his fifth and finest record to date.
10) Darkside- Psychic
I can’t begin to put into words how amazingly beautiful this record is. The sounds and noises that Nicolas Jaar and Dave Harrington put into my ears is beyond me. Please find this record and listen to it over and over.
11) Foxygen- We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
A debut record for the ages. 20 somethings from San Francisco find the perfect balance of 60’s era pop and 2000’s era rock and roll. Fantastic.
12) My Bloody Valentine- MBV
The most surprising record of the year, not because it’s good but because it came out. Finally!!! 26 years in the making and Kevin Shields and company have hit the highest point in their careers.
13) Blood Orange- Cupid Deluxe
An outstanding hip-hop/r&b album that came out late in 2013 that should be listened to by everyone.
14) Depeche Mode- The Delta Machine/ Superchunk- I Hate Music
Easily 2 of my favorite bands and most influential bands in my life both came out with records in 2013. I hope everyone working in music takes notes that anything is possible by just sticking together and being in the band. As good as anything they’ve each released in 15 years.
15) Lorde- Pure Heroine
Have you heard of this girl yet? The album is so good that the worst song on the album is, “Royals”. That’s saying a lot.
16) Ryan Hemsworth- Guilt Trips/Still Awake (ep)
A beautifully record (both the full length and the ep) that I just can’t stop listening to.
17) Chvrches- The Bones of What You Believe
They release a small ep late last year (and one of my favorite tracks of 2012, “The Mother We Share”). This is their full length and it was well the worth the wait.
18) Tim Hecker- Virgins
While not as good as 2011’s ‘Ravedeath, 1972’, this record is just perfectly created music that I think anyone will fall in love with.
19) Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
Each and every song on the latest Daft Punk record is a single waiting to be released. With the help of some of the best musicians working in music this is a complete record from start to finish.
20) Danny Brown- Old
My favorite hip-hop record not released by someone named Kanye. Better than 2011’s XXX. If this (along with fellow rappers/friends A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q) then the music will be better for it.
And 20 more…
21) Mutual Benefit- Love’s Crushing Diamond
22) Bleached- Ride Your Heart
23) The Weeknd- Kiss Land
24) Justin Timberlake- The 20/20 Experience
25) James Blake- Overgrown
26) The Julie Ruin- Run Fast
27) Autre Ne Veut- Anxiety
28) Deafheaven- Sunbather
29) Juliana Barwick- Nepenthe
30) Mazzy Star- Seasons of Your Day
31) Drake- Nothing Was the Same
32) Bill Callahan- Dream River
33) Chelsea Wolfe- Pain is Beauty
34) M.I.A.- Matangi
35) Neko Case- The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
36) Washed Out- Paracosm
37) Okkervil River- The Silver Gymnasium
38) Oneohtrix Point Never- R Plus Seven
39) Death Grips- Government Plates
40) Indians- Somewhere Else
Most overrated album of 2013:
Arcade Fire- Reflektor
Most disappointing album of 2013:
Jay-Z- Holy Grail
Most underrated album of 2013:
Mutual Benefit- Love’s Crushing Diamond
A Second Opinion…(Thom’s)
1) Chelsea Wolfe- Pain Is Beauty
2) Kanye West- Yeezus
3) Dropkick Murphy’s- Signed and Sealed in Blood
4) My Bloody Valentine- MBV
5) Frank Turner- Tape Deck Heart
6) Iron Chic- The Constant One
7) Run The Jewels- Run The Jewels
8) Arctic Monkeys- AM
9) Johnny Marr- The Messenger
10) Kylesa- Ultraviolet
11) The Julie Ruin- Run Fast
12) Future of the Left- How to Stop Your Brain In An Accident
13) Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals- Walk Through Exits Only
14) Sky Ferriera- Night Time, My Time
15) Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds- Push The Sky Away